Saturday, March 2, 2013

The"Can", continued

Seems that blogspot limits each post.  Oh well, it's free.
I have a combo washer and dryer, a cute little machine that both washes and dries the clothes.  When I say little, I mean little.  It can handle two pairs of jeans OR 5 pairs of mens underwear OR...you get the point.  I love my little machine and it is weird to be washing a load while going down the road, but it does mean washing everyday or going to the laundromat, which to me is only an option to in an emergency.  UGH!
To hold all our used water and accompanying debri, we have holding tanks.  One is for grey water (washing machine, sinks, shower run off) and one for black (toilet) water.  Let me tell you, there is a science to monitoring those tanks because you NEVER, EVER want those tanks to over fill, to harden ( in the black tank, hardening is called the "tower of doom"), to freeze, to stink, to clog.  I watch those tanks like a dog on a bone.  We have a tank panel that I check a lot.... Paul says too much.  He would be inclined to check it when sewage came up the toilet, there was a dreadful smell, something wouldn't drain or flush or there was an unknown and unrecognizable drip under the motor home.
Now for the finale, "THE CAN".  We have two bathrooms.  One is mid coach and one is at the back of the coach.  The holding tanks for the black water generated by those bath room toilets is mid coach, in what RV'ers call the basement.  The basement is where much of the mechanics of the coach systems resides, as well as massive storage for things like our grill, the screen room, tools, chairs etc.
Because the rear toilet (no pun intended) must get the black water to the middle, basement of the coach, it uses a push button, macerator system to chop up debris and shoot it to the tank, 15 feet forward.  With the mid coach toilet, you just step on a leverage and magically stuff disappears into the tank.
I guess because I was a gastro nurse for so long, I am enthralled by the coaches toilet technology. Apparently, my grandkids are too.  When they saw the coach for the first time, each of them suddenly needed to use each bathroom, multiple times.....pushing levers, pushing buttons, watching stuff disappear with unfamiliar flushing sounds.  We have 7 grandkids.  Thats a lot of flushing.
So to wind things up, without much explanation, we have to empty the tanks now and then.  It is not a complicated process for me because I won't do it.  It's man's work and Paul is good at it so why hurt his pride and take that away from him.

PS - Paul reminded me that we DO have a garbage disposal....Smudge and Willow!

No comments:

Post a Comment