Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pots and Pans and "The Can" (Everything you might want to know but were afraid to ask)

I'm sure you've lost sleep due to burning questions about RV'ing.  I certainly couldn't sleep before taking on this adventure.  We made the mistake of seeing the movie "RV" with Robin Williams. Not a good idea. I had nightmares after seeing it and there were, uh, sewage related themes.
Anyway, lets get the "pots and pans" info out of the way since it is eating and drinking that lead to the use of "the can".
Since space is a consideration in the RV, I bought all-clad, removable handle, nesting pots and pans.  They were made for a boat galley so they nest easily into a compact footprint and fit in our deep drawer below the gas stove.  I am impressed and like them better than my Caphalon at home.
We use Corelle dishes and Tervis drink ware except for some cute plastic, yes plastic but BSP free, wine glasses from Crate and Barrel.  Everyone that knows me is aware that I like my wine in a fine crystal, thin lipped glass, preferably snifter style.  I only have one or two glasses of wine a week so its got to be savored!  Being in an RV, crystal would not work so plastic it is for now.  I'm still looking for a way to get back to crystal.
We supplied the kitchen keeping budget in mind.  Let me tell you, DON'T buy kitchen utensils from the Dollar Store.  Using the cute little green tongs from there (they had to match my decor theme) are like trying to pick up food with a noodle, the spatula won't hold anything heavier than a marshmallow, and I'm not sure the measuring cups hold the amount they say they hold.  I should have known......you get what you pay for.
We have appliances, generally a smaller version of what I have at home, but that's OK.  I don't think I will be entertaining any large dinner parties in our two seater dinette.  RV'ers are masters of the pitch in so not to worry.
We have a small (Ninja) food processor, a regular size crock pot (Ninja).  Every time I use the Ninja stuff, I think of those weird reptilian turtle characters, swirling in the food processor or cooking in the crock pot.  Ninja stew, anyone?
I have a microwave/convection oven that I love.  No garbage disposal and no dishwasher although higher end motor coaches ($350,000 and up) have them.  I have a double door refrigerator/ freezer with bars that pull up to protect the food from sliding out onto the floor after the RV rolls down the road.  You have the be VERY careful about opening cabinets etc. after motoring since movement rearranges things.  And you don't store heavy objects above the driver seat.  Nothing worse than having the driver knocked out by a can of beans while going 65 mph with 50 plus feet of vehicles under his/her control.
On to the more delicate matters -
A motor home is not only a traveling residence, it is Citizens Gas, REMC electric, the water company, sewage company and the cable company.
We have gas and electric heating and air conditioning.
We carry water or can hook up to a water source at the campground. We put a water softener in because I am spoiled.  (See the next blog to continue......I'm out of space.)

No comments:

Post a Comment