Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kayaks, Manatees and Friends

There are so many heavens on earth!  The last two days have been filled with nature and the warmth of friendship.

Kayaking at Salt Springs in the Ocala National Forest was an experience I will never forget.  As most head springs are, the water is crystal clear and a constant temp of 74 degrees.  Because of those factors, the water is alive with everything you can imagine, birds, fish, otters, turtles and manatees.  The head springs pumps 52 million gallons of water A DAY from the aquifer.  This time of year, the manatees are numerous and in the clear, clear water, are easy to see.

Call me the manatee whisperer.  Another manatee sought me out while kayaking, just as they have in years past.  Paul and I do not believe in encouraging wild animals to become habituated to humans.  We always just observe from a distance, and believe me, that is exciting enough.  But when a creature comes up to my kayak, nibbles on the side, looks me in the face, lines up their body just right and roles over several times next to me, I just had to touch.  The manatee belly feels like rough satin and their back feels like a somewhat smooth scrub dish pad.  It is a privilege to be so close to a wild animal!

Another manatee swam under my kayak several times, once gently pushing it.  Realize that he was longer than my 14 foot kayak and twice as wide!  We saw babies and mothers eating side by side, and big bull manatees.  And manatee, uh, flirting.  We did not bring a waterproof camera with us so all I had was my phone.  It is hard to capture an experience like that on film anyway.....I was too busy enjoying the moment.



The next day we met dear friends at Wekiwa Springs State Park for a picnic and kayaking.  It was great to see Sue and her husband, Dave.  Although we have met wonderful people on our travels, there is nothing like the familiarity of a long time friend.
I only took one photo because I was just enjoying our time together.  Thank you Sue and Dave for traveling to see us and for experiencing the springs with us.  I hope that we can do that again with more time!
I was feeling so loved this week as a friend, Nancy,  from my work life also contacted me to get together.  She and her husband were in Jacksonville greeting their new grandson.  Unfortunately, we could not make a visit happen but I am certain we will have the opportunity some day.
To top the day off, the moon was magnificent last night.  I thought of my friends, perhaps looking at the same moon in the sky.  We are all connected in this universe, friends and creatures alike.
Love you friends.  You make life so sweet....






3 comments:

  1. I was so jealousy to hear what a great time Sue had and wishing Kip and I could be there for sure. We are looking to come to Florida soon to see my parents but the time we come you might be off on new travels by then plus I'm not sure how close we would be but I'm sure sometime in the future our paths will cross again! I'm glad your enjoying yourself continue to have a great time! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had such a wonderful time Kathy. It was great to see you and Paul. The day couldn't have been better. So glad you two are enjoying yourselves!! Take care and safe travels- :) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are having such a wonderful time. I love the pictures you have been sharing. Great picture of you and Sue. Stay safe and enjoy. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete