On the way to Syracuse for the Good Sam Rally, we stopped at Letchworth State Park. Called the "Grand Canyon of the East" it is a stunning example of a glacial cut canyon.
Driving into the park, I had no warning about the hairpin turns with sharp drop offs of 300 feet or more. There were no guardrails just 150 year old stone walls, and me being skittish about heights, I was, lets say, expressing my fears. Poor Paul, he is trying to maneuver the RV and tow vehicle and I am squealing like a pig going to slaughter. He has the patience of Job.
Letchworth is exquisite. It is an old park which has been lovingly preserved. There are no modern fences, just low walls and bridges of local rock. Wildflowers have been allowed to prosper and careful attention has been paid to keep invasive plants out. And the falls were so cool and misty. Although it rained each day, I appreciated to sweet calm the moisture put over the land. Everything was lizard green, washed from the rain.
I will let the photos do the talking......
 |
| Some guy I picked up.....38 years ago. |
 |
| The Grand Canyon of the East |
 |
| Notice the people at the top of the photo in order to get the scale of the falls. |
 |
| The Glenn Iris Inn where there is a five star restaurant. Yum! |
 |
| Tourist |
 |
| Paul drinking wine...hard to see the gallon jug. |
No comments:
Post a Comment