Well let me tell you. Yellow Jacket Campground/resort is lovely and three days were not enough to experience its beauty.
Right on the Suwannee, we faced the camper with our "IMAX" window at the river. Each hour of the day there were beautiful colors and shadows as light hit the river and trees. It was quiet and just lovely.
Unfortunately it was cold while we were there but we met some wonderful people from Illinois that we had great conversations with. They introduced us to wasabi covered nuts and a wine aerator. Our new friends, Carol and Dick had been a first grade teacher and a philosophy major with stints with several agencies, respectively. I could have sat and talked with them forever but a bonfire can only do so much to keep a person warm, so we had to cut some conversation short. More friends to meet up with again.
We were cozy and warm in our home on wheels even though the temps got down in the 20's. During the day, it got up to the mid fifty range with a brisk breeze. No kayaking, darn it.
During the cold, Paul and I went to the Steinhatchee Fiddler Crab Festival. What a hoot! Crab races, seafood booths, chowder booths, chili booths, "swamp water" booths (don't know what that is and I was too chicken to try. I think maybe a fish stew?) There was live music ("we are definitely in the south", type music), classic car show and lots of crazy people in crab costumes. The lady in the photo below, dressed as a crab, was originally from Indiana and has a daughter in Mooresville. Small world.
There were arts and crafts, some of dubious artistic value, but none the less fun to look at. We went home with a crab necklace that I had to have and I'm sure I will wear forever (NOT).
Steinhatchee Fiddler Crab Festival
View from our IMAX window
Dirt Road to Yellow Jacket. I was worried.....what kind of place is this?
Indiana Crab Lady
Golf cart for the festival Sea Hag. Paul says I should of entered the contest. Very funny Paul.







No comments:
Post a Comment